This policy is designed to provide a welcoming environment,
conducive to the varied types of research, scholarship, teaching and learning
done by all students, faculty, staff, and patrons visiting the Valley
Library. This Code of Conduct, along
with other OSU Libraries and Press policies, seeks to provide a safe and secure
environment and facility suitable for reading, learning, and other activities
associated with scholarly teaching and research. These policies are applicable to all Library
users and are enforceable by all Library staff.
Safety and Security
In order to protect the safety and security of all visitors,
the following guidelines should be followed at all times:
- Please park bicycles in the designated bicycle parking areas
to the east and west of the building, as university policy does not allow them
inside buildings. For patron safety, bicycles should not be parked in front of
exits, in entry ways, near emergency exits, or in front of any doors or book
returns. Bicycles that are improperly
parked may be impounded by Campus Security. See Bicycle Policies for further details.
- Please do not ride skateboards or hoverboards, or use
skates, rollerblades, or other personal mobility devices used for recreational
purposes inside the library.
- Much of the furniture in the library can be rearranged to
suit individual and group needs. However, to ensure the safety of staff and patrons, furniture may not be
placed in front of any doors, especially emergency exits, and furniture may not
be rearranged in such a manner that it will impede paths to exits or fire
- Tents, forts, mattresses, and other items that obscure or
block patrons from view are not permitted in the library due to safety and
- Due to the fire hazard they present, appliances such as
coffee makers, hot pots, crock pots, and rice cookers are prohibited.
- Running in the library is prohibited.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended, even for a brief
amount of time.
Code of Conduct
- Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times.
- Patrons are expected to clean up after themselves, and to
leave the space as clean or cleaner than they found it. Ample trash and recycling bins are located
throughout the building. Report any
untidy or unclean areas to library staff so that we may promptly take care of
- Use headphones/earbuds when listening to music or watching
videos. Adjust the volume so that it
does not impact those around you.
- Policies in quiet and silent areas must be adhered to at all
times. Even when not in areas designated
quiet or silent, please respect those around you and keep noise levels to a
point that do not disturb others. See
the Quiet and Silent Study Spaces Policy for further details.
- Please be ready to leave when the building closes. Several announcements are made on the public
address system to provide you with enough time to wrap up what you are working
on and collect your belongings.
- Graffiti, stickers, and defacing/damaging furniture and the
building are costly and time intensive to remove and repair. Please refrain from stickering or marking on
the library building, furniture, or materials. You may provide feedback and comments to library staff using our webform at any time. Please report any
issues with graffiti, stickers, or damage immediately to library staff so that
we can clean, repair or fix items as soon as possible.
- There is a large bulletin board on the first floor, across
from the Java II coffee shop where you may post a variety of fliers - see our
- Smoking in and around the building is prohibited due to the
OSU campus policy.
- OSU Students are also obligated to a code of responsible
behavior outlined in the Student Conduct Code, which is based on assumption
that all persons must treat one another with dignity and respect in order for
scholarship to thrive.
Library use is a privilege. If an individual or group is not
adhering to Library policies, individual users may point it out. Concerns,
problems, or policy violations may also be reported at a Library service desk
to any Library staff member.
Anyone violating these policies can be asked to leave the
Library and refused future access. Library users found in violation of this
Code of Conduct may be asked to present identification to Library staff;
directed to leave the premises; suspended from access to all Library facilities
for a period of time; and reported to the Office of Student Conduct and
Community Standards or local law enforcement.
Disciplinary or legal action may be taken in accordance with applicable
federal, state, city, and campus laws and policies. Depending on the severity
of the offense and the pattern of behavior, persons may be banned for extended
periods such as one week, one year, or permanently.