This policy is designed to provide a welcoming environment that is conducive to the varied types of research, scholarship, teaching and learning done by all students, faculty, staff, and patrons visiting the Valley Library. This Code of Conduct, along with other OSU Libraries and Press policies, seeks to provide a safe and secure environment and facility suitable for reading, learning, and other activities associated with scholarly teaching and research. These policies are applicable to all library users and are enforceable by all library employees.
Safety and Security
In order to protect the safety and security of all visitors, the following guidelines should be followed at all times:
- Please park bicycles in the designated bicycle parking areas to the east and west of the building, as university policy does not allow them inside buildings. For patron safety, bicycles should not be parked in front of exits, in entry ways, near emergency exits, or in front of any doors or book returns. Bicycles that are improperly parked may be impounded by Campus Security. For further details, see Bicycle Policies for further details.
- Please do not ride skateboards or hoverboards or use skates, rollerblades, or other personal mobility devices used for recreational purposes inside the library.
- Much of the furniture in the library can be rearranged to suit individual and group needs. However, to ensure the safety of staff and patrons, furniture may not be placed in front of any doors, especially emergency exits, and furniture may not be rearranged in such a manner that it will impede paths to exits or fire extinguishers.
- Tents, forts, mattresses, and other items that obscure or block patrons from view are not permitted in the library due to safety and security reasons.
- Due to the fire hazard they present, appliances such as coffee makers, hot pots, crock pots, and rice cookers are prohibited.
- Running in the library is prohibited.
- Do not leave your belongings unattended, even for a brief amount of time, as thefts can occur.
Code of Conduct
- Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times.
- Patrons are expected to clean up after themselves, and to leave the space that they were using as clean or cleaner than they found it. Ample trash and recycling bins are located throughout the building. Report any untidy or unclean areas to library staff so that we may promptly take care of issues.
- Use headphones/earbuds when listening to music or watching videos. Adjust the volume so that it does not impact those around you.
- Policies in quiet and silent areas must be adhered to at all times. Even when not in areas designated quiet or silent, please respect those around you and keep noise levels to a point that do not disturb others. For further details, see the Quiet and Silent Study Spaces Policy.
- Please be ready to leave when the building closes. Several announcements are made on the public address system to provide you with enough time to wrap up what you are working on and collect your belongings.
- Graffiti, stickers, and defacing/damaging furniture and the building are costly and time intensive to remove and repair. Please refrain from stickering or marking on the library building, furniture or materials. Please report any issues with graffiti, stickers, or damage immediately to library staff so that we can clean, repair or fix items as soon as possible. You may provide feedback and comments to library staff using our webform at any time.
- There is a large bulletin board on the first floor across from the Java II coffee shop where you may post a variety of fliers -- see our policy here.
- Smoking in and around the building is prohibited due to the OSU campus policy.
- OSU Students are also obligated to a code of responsible behavior outlined in the Student Conduct Code, which is based on assumption that all persons must treat one another with dignity and respect in order for scholarship to thrive.
Library use is a privilege. If an individual or group is not adhering to library policies, individual users may point it out. Concerns, problems, or policy violations may also be reported at a library service desk to any library employee.
Anyone violating these policies can be asked to leave the library and refused future access. Library users found in violation of this Code of Conduct may be asked to present identification to library staff; directed to leave the premises; suspended from access to all library facilities for a period of time; and reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards or local law enforcement. Disciplinary or legal action may be taken in accordance with applicable federal, state, city and campus laws and policies. Depending on the severity of the offense and the pattern of behavior, persons may be banned for extended periods such as one week, one year, or permanently.